Saturday 30 May 2009

The politics of clean clothes

You see, I don't have a washing machine, never have done. It's always seemed a bit eccentric to others, a bit odd. But that perception changed for me when I discovered that most New Yorkers don't have a washer either. Suddenly, I didn't feel so strange any more - overnight I joined the ranks of my cool cousins across the pond who visit the laundromat once a week to get a service wash. Their take-out attitude to dirty clothes seems a sensible one. It means more employment and less water wastage. You free-up space in your already cramped apartment leaving more room for the necessities of life like more shoes and hats. There's no dripping clothing cascading over your rusting radiators, and you have a smile on your face as you're not dealing with dreary damp undies. Join the club! Bring the laundromat back to London!

No comments: